This is a schedule of our readings for the semester. Most class periods will include discussion of the readings, collaborative exercises and writing activities, and student presentations (see the assignments section of this website for a description of the article/book reviews that each student will complete once during the semester).
Any changes made to this schedule will be announced in class and on email.
Jeong, The Internet of Garbage
Choi, Soft Science
Chiang, "The Lifecycle of Software Objects"
Parikka and Sampson, "On Anomalous Objects of Digital Culture"
Brock, "Distributing Blackness"
Tolentino, "The I in the Internet"
- Menkman, "The Glitch Studies Manifesto" (JB)
Harassment and Abuse
Dibbell, "A Rape in Cyberspace"
Chun, "Inhabiting Writing"
Revisit: Jeong, Tolentino, Chiang
- Massanari, "#Gamergate and The Fappening: How Reddit’s algorithm, governance, and culture support toxic technocultures"
- Brown and Hennis, "Hateware and the Oustourcing of Responsibility"
Misogyny and Transphobia
2/17 *Project Proposal Due*
Zuckerberg, Not all Dead White Men
Revisit: Jeong, Tolentino
- Sundén, "On trans-, glitch, and gender as machinery of failure"
- Haimson et. al, "Tumblr was a trans technology"
- Coleman, "Race as Technology"
- Nakamura, "Digital Racial Formations"
Benkler et. al.
- Harsin, "Attention! Rumor Bombs, Affect, Managed Democracy"
- Bessi and Ferrara, "Social bots distort the 2016 U.S. Presidential election online discussion" https://firstmonday.org/article/view/7090/5653
- Paasonen, "Irregular Fantasies, Anomalous Uses: Pornography Spam as Boundary Work"
- Woolley, "Automating power: Social bot interference in global politics, https://journals.uic.edu/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/6161/5300
Revisit: Chiang, "The Lifecycle of Software Objects"
- Miller, "The Art of Waste"
- Roberts, "Digital Refuse"
Pasek, "Managing Carbon and Data Flows"
Zimmer, "Bitcoin and Potosí Silver: Historical Perspectives on Cryptocurrency"
JR Carpenter, "The Gathering Gloud"
- Hogan, "Facebook Data Storage Centers as the Archive’s Underbelly"
- Vonderau, "Storing Data, Infrastructuring the Air"
Living in a World of Garbage
Florini, Beyond Hashtags
- "‘Joy is resistance’: cross-platform resilience and (re)invention of Black oral culture online" by Jessica Lu and Catherine Knight Steele
- Trice, Potts, and Small, "Values versus Rules in Social Media Communities"
4/13: Repair 1
Jackson, "Rethinking Repair"
Houston, "The Timeliness of Repair"
- Burrell, What environmentalists get wrong about e-waste in West Africa
- Pink et. al., "Broken Data"
4/20: Repair 2
Ephemera 19(2), special issue on "Repair Matters"
Parikka and Hertz, "Zombie Media"
Cubitt, Finite Media
Costanza-Chock, "Design Justice"
Bratton, "On Speculative Design"